Once again we find ourselves examining a rumor by Android Police of a couple of smartwatches that Google is developing. Similar to its previous rendering of the upcoming Nexus phones, Android Police has created an image of what the watches could look like based on information from a source. Until the products are actually released, I’m treating these as concept images.
Pomacanthidae & Xiphiidae
Codenamed “Angelfish” and “Swordfish” respectively, we might see these new Android Wear watches this fall, or possibly later. Angelfish is the larger watch, while Swordfish is the smaller one. Reminiscent of the Moto 360 smartwatch, these both have a stark, round design.
While it’s possible that the hardware design is close to the finished product, I suspect that the UI of these watches was a concept specifically created for these images.
Swordfish, the smaller of the two, is rumored to be a cheaper version of the Angelfish watch, which will be the standard. Being cheaper, Swordfish probably won’t have as many features as Angelfish. According to Android Police, Angelfish will receive support for MODE bands, which means you and swap them to your heart’s content. Due to Angelfish’s larger size, it might not get MODE bands and instead come with one standard band.
Last week, we reported the possible features of the two watches, and I’ll repeat them here.
- Larger, more subdued and sporty design
- Sensors include LTE, GPS, heart rate
- Physically somewhat resembles Moto 360 second generation and LG Urbane 2nd Edition
- Crown button on right center
- Circular buttons flanking crown
- More than 14mm thick
- 43.5mm diameter falls in between the current generation of Moto 360 sizes
- Matte dark grey finish (“titanium”)
- Physically somewhat resembles Pebble Time Round with more gentle and round shape
- 42mm diameter
- 10.6mm thick
- Single button on right center with ridged crown similar to Apple Watch
- Silver, Titanium, and Rose Gold
- Lacks LTE, GPS, and likely heart rate monitor
My own speculation is that these new watches will be perfect to show off the new Google Assistant which was announced at this year’s Google I/O.
Similar to the new rumored phones, it’s unknown how these new watches will be branded: Nexus, Android Wear, Pixel?
What do you guys think? Let us know your questions, concerns and criticisms in the comments below.